Bel Canto was our January book read. We picked it out because so many of the group had enjoyed State of Wonder which was nominated for the Women's Prize for Fiction in 2012. Bel Canto actually won the prize in 2002.
As it's a prize winner we found lots of discussion guides - very nice for a change. A list of which can be found here:
- Ann Patchett's website
- Book Club in a Box - a PDF of suggested discussions
- Spark Notes - which is a bit more of a study guide more than anything!
- Guardian Book Club guide
We asked the following questions:
- Who was your favourite hostage and why?
- Who was our favourite terrorist and why?
- Did you agree with the ending of the book?
Mostly, we enjoyed the book, it's so beautifully written - but we were rather split with the ending. Some thought it was a really sad ending and others thought it was inevitable.
Have you read Bel Canto for yourself or for a book group? What did you talk about?